Monday, November 28, 2011

What We Ate Tonight: Turkey leftovers

tonight I finished off the last of our turkey and cranberry relish in this delicious take on a pot pie with polenta topping covered in cheese. The bottom part was typical pot-pie filling: veggies and turkey in a thickened broth/sauce. The topping was polenta with cranberry relish stirred in for extra flavor and a little sweet-tartness and then the whole thing is covered in extra sharp cheddar and broiled. Check out the bubbly deliciousness:


It was so so so good. I used my leftover Apple-Cranberry Relish and the apples went so well with the cheese for an unexpected twist on an old favorite. Only downside was the texture - it was pretty much all mushy, but a crisp side salad would have helped with that. And actually, when I went back for seconds, the polenta had firmed up a bit after a few minutes out of the oven. I could have eaten half the pan. Yum yum yum.

I'm trying hard to finish up all the food in my fridge before my next big cookday on Thursday where I'll be cooking ahead for the entire month of December since it is a crazy month that can go from the fun kind of celebratory crazy to chaotic and cranky crazy really fast. Hopefully having a fridge and freezer full of healthy ready-to-go meals will alleviate some of the chaos. Tomorrow I'll finalize my menu plan once the grocery sale papers come in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment