Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week In Review

so this week wasn't exactly as planned since I didn't get to the store until late in the day and they were all out of chickens! I could have gotten a rain check, but since chickens do go on sale once a month or so, and I have stock in my freezer leftover from last time, I decided to revise my menu and move on without chickens. Part of what made this easier is that I had purchased two packages of ground turkey super on sale at Albertson's. I was planning to put both in the freezer, but used one for a meal this week and just stashed one.
So anyway, the two pork meals were great. I especially loved the Mexican Pork Stew. We ate it with beans and rice and it was tasty without being overly spicy, so Little Miss could eat it too. Today when I was scrounging for leftovers for lunch after church, I noticed there was just a little bit of stew left and that there wasn't much liquid left with it, so I chopped the remaining meat and vegetables up, tossed with some grated cheese and made stuffed quesadillas in less than five minutes. I think I liked the quesadillas better than the stew itself, but that's probably because of the cheese. mmm ... cheese ...
Another success was based off of the Chicken Tortilla Casserole that didn't come to fruition. I think I manipulated the printed recipe enough to share with you my final product, so look for it after the jump!

BBQ Nacho Casserole
This was a way for me to use up some stuff in the fridge, so I don't have exact quantities to share, but you know what your family likes to make your own adjustments. Deputy Handsome and I love the tri-tip nachos at Bandits, so that is the flavor I was trying to emulate here.

Preheat the oven to 350. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray and put a layer of crushed tortilla chips on the bottom.
Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute chopped onion and bell peppers for four or five minutes until soft. Stir in one-half package of ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat into crumbles, until no pink is showing. Add a half-cup of frozen corn and a half-cup of black beans to the meat mixture and stir until the corn is defrosted.
Spoon the meat mixture over the chips, then drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce. Sprinkle a half-cup of shredded cheese over the sauce, then crumble up some more tortilla chips and put on top of the cheese. Finally, cover the chips with another half-cup of cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it sit for five minutes before cutting into four servings. I would serve this with avocado, but not on Deputy Handsome's portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment