Saturday, July 2, 2011

Week In Review

this was a successful week - everything was delicious, inexpensive and used up items in my fridge!! Just a few thoughts on our menu this week:

Citrus Ricotta Pancakes and Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Frosting were both to die for. Especially the pancakes with fresh strawberries and maple syrup. yum.

Parmesan Biscuits were really tasty, but a little dry. I would make them again, but will look up ways to keep the finished product moister next time.

Korean Beef Wraps rivaled PF Changs. so so so good.

Mediterranean Veggie Pie is going to be my new go-to recipe for using up odds and ends of veggies and cheese in my fridge. It was so good and one 9-inch pie makes just four servings, so you get a large, filling portion but it's mostly healthy. I changed the recipe enough when I made it myself that I wouldn't feel in violation of any copyright laws by posting it here. Look for my version after the jump.


Vegetable Cheese Pie
I think you could successfully sub in just about any vegetables, herbs or cheese (except ricotta, that's a key ingredient) to make a yummy, healthy meal of your own, but here is the combination of ingredients I used this week:

Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
Thinly slice two potatoes (I used the slicing blade on my food processor to keep things even) and layer the slices to cover the bottom of the dish. Also, cut some rounds in half to line the edge. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Throw in the oven while you prep the other ingredients (about 15 minutes).
Add some olive oil to a saute pan and cook one chopped onion and a couple squares of frozen garlic and basil (according to your tastes. I used two of each.) until the onion is tender. You could also use freshly chopped garlic and basil if you have it. Add chopped baby spinach (however much you have left in your fridge. I had about 1/3 of a bag.) and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until the potatoes are done cooking.
In a medium bowl, whisk together three eggs and one cup of ricotta cheese until very smooth. Slice a tomato. If you don't buy your parmesan cheese pre-grated, now is the time to grate it!
Once the potatoes are ready, remove from the oven (leave it turned on!) and spoon the onion/spinach mixture over it (if there is a lot of moisture, drain before adding it to the pie dish). Next layer feta cheese (I used about half a container) and then sliced tomatoes. Pour the egg/ricotta mixture over everything and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Eat it right away, or let it cool and store, covered, in the fridge. Reheats well in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment